Re: [Amps] Need for input tuning circuit

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need for input tuning circuit
From: craxd <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 09:57:34 -0400
Vic, Peter, and others,

I think what Vic is talking about is using a "grid leak" bias circuit. The tube actually has bias this way by charging the capacitor up which is parallel with a resistor. This charging happens quick each time the tube is operated. Vic mentions using a cap in series with this for grid driven or in parallel for cathode driven. However on the grid driven, both can be used, the C block and the one in parallel along with added bias voltage trough a choke to G1. Years ago, a lot of the so-called grounded grid, sweep tube amps used this method to cut the tubes off. There's an electronics education manual from the US Armed Forces Institute named "Understanding Radio" That shows the usage all through the book with very good explanations of how to use it. This books last copyright I had was 1951 so were talking old school (used a lot in triodes). You hardly ever see grid leak bias today though, but I built a two tube 6KG6A grid driven amp for six meters about one year ago using it. It used as above, both grid leak, and a bias supply. In Vics case, he was running both grid leak bias, and killing the screen voltage with a clamp tube if I read that right, on idle. If so, it would have most likely killed the tube as he said.

Will Matney

How was full class-C maintained on the opposite cycle, when no grid
current flows?
For full class-C the 813 has to be biased with -155V at 2250V EHT

There needs to be a capacitor across the grid resistor that is charged during the period that grid current is flowing. If you have a parallel tuned input circuit from grid to ground, the blocking capacitor that keeps the bias from being shorted out by the coil performs this function. Or you can have an RF choke connected to the grid in series with the grid resistor and a bypass capacitor connected between the junction between the choke and resistor and ground.

-- 73, Vic, K2VCO Fresno CA http://www.qsl.net/k2vco