Re: [Amps] 4CX350 in Dentron Clipperton V ?????

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX350 in Dentron Clipperton V ?????
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:25:55 +0200
The socket for the 4CX350A is identical to the 4CX250B socket,
but there are a few differences:

- the input capacitance is 24.2 pF instead of 15.7 pF
- the output capacitance is 5.5 pF instead of 4.5 pF

The adjustment ranges of the grid and plate tuned circuits would also have to
accommodate these
increased capacitances.

The 4CX350A is not rated for class C service, and
to run a 4CX350A instead of a 4CX250B may give around 10% higher power
using the same plate and screen voltages and zero-signal plate currents
.
In order to get a larger power increase, it appears from the tube curves that
it would be necessary
to operate on the maximum screen rating (400V) to get a sufficiently high peak
plate current in class AB

What this would do to the linearity is hard to say.

Personally, I feel that the small power increase available (in the order of 1
dB)
does not justify the change from a relatively rugged and inexpensive  tube
to a considerably more fragile and expensive tube.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM