[Amps] GU-48 tube height

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] GU-48 tube height
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:48:10 -0400
Tom,

About three days ago, I seen about those GU-48 tubes at a Russian website. They showed about the different lengths and also there's a ceramic type which supposed to be the same as the glass body but a different number. My understanding was the glass body was in two different heights because of two different manufacturers if I recall correctly. It mentioned that the chimney type socket wouldn't work and I think showed another type socket without a chimney. Hopefilly, the ones coming in to the US are the longer tubes. I'd hate to see you get stuck with a bunch of expensive sockets that wouldn't work with the tubes. I knew the US made socket you are having made would fit because of no chimney being with it. I wish I'd saved a link to that website as I figured some already knew about this. I just did a Google search for GU-48 and found the page. The site was in English also.

In cases like this, it pays to buy the socket and tube from the same vendor so they'll know everything fits up. I'd say everything you have there will match up okay though.

Will Matney