Re: [Amps] Transfer capacitance, was GI-46B Question

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transfer capacitance, was GI-46B Question
From: R.Vaicius@omnitel.net
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:07:55 +0300
Jeff,

Just take a look at
http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/TransmittingPulseTubes/gi-46b.html
and you will find that transfer C is between 5.1 - 6.4 pF and input C is
from 14.5 to 18.5 pF.
Looks like the true is somewhere beyond :)

73, Remi LY4XX

Art...

Let's put this back on the reflector...it's getting interesting.

All the data sheet from the gda.pl site list values like
input C 10 pF
output C .05 pF
Transfer C 5 pF

But the data sheets at nd2x.net generally look like
input C 10 pF
output C 5 pF
Transfer C .05 pF

Note the swapping of values between ouput C and Transfer C values

Going to the Eimac web site and looking at the 8877 data sheet clears
this up. The values swap around between grounded grid and grounded
cathode. Feedthrough and Transfer C measure the same thing.

Capacitance              Grounded Cathode

      Input
      Output
      Feedthrough

                 38.5 pf
0.1 pf
10. pf
Capacitance              Grounded Grid

      Input
      Output
      Feedthrough

                 38.5 pf
10.2 pf
0.1 pf

So... make a table of all the Grounded Grid transfer C we can find for
these tubes

GI-6B 0.2 - 0.3 pF
GI-7B 0.055 to 0.095 pF
GS-9 0.04 pF
GI-46B
GS-31 0.12 pF
GS-35 0.12 pF
8877 0.1 pF

It doesn't appear that any of the various web sites have data on the
capacitance for the tube...which is a bit strange. But since someone
built a 432 Amp with the GI-46b, it probably doesn't have the special
feedback wires like the GI-6B.

A very interesting little bit of investigation.

jeff, wa1hco

Arthur Moe wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>You might want to look here:
>
>http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/018/g/GI7B.pdf
>
>http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/018/g/GI46B.pdf
>
>Note that Transfer "C" is 4.0-5.2 for the GI7B and 5.1-6.4 for the GI46B,
the 46
>only 1.1 to 1.2 more
>

>Art
>KB7WW
>

>jeff millar wrote:
>

>>Interesting...do you think there's a typo on the data sheet?
>>
>>jeff
>>
>>Arthur Moe wrote:
>>

>>>All,
>>>
>>>If you look around these sites you will find VHF amplifiers using these
tubes.  One
>>>is a commercial builder in europe. See mid power list.
>>>

>>>http://www.pollak.sulinet.hu/elektro/pa_rev/pa_rev.htm#mid_vhf
>>>
>>>http://www.westparknet.com/business/ham%20shop/GI46Bamp.htm
>>>
>>>http://www.qsl.net/ok2zi/pa432.html
>>>

>>>Art
>>>KN7WW

UHF

tube. I see a guy on eBay selling them rather cheap I think.