Re: [Amps] SB-220 parasitic suppressors

To: "Vic Rosenthal" <vic@rakefet.com>,"Amps reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB-220 parasitic suppressors
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:50:23 -0600
: [Amps] SB-220 parasitic suppressors

One reason that an SB-220 can develop VHF parasitics is the following: the original suppressors use 2-watt carbon composition resistors. These resistors tend to increase in value when they age, and especially when they are heated. If an SB-220 has been used heavily, especially on 10 meters or -- worst case -- on 10 (or 11!) meter AM, the resistors will have gotten quite hot and may have changed significantly in value, or even opened up.

If the resistors are discolored, they should definitely be replaced.

Sage advice, Vic....
My standard procedure here is to check the value of the suppressor resistor on a time schedule, along with cleaning the components and chassis, and a thorough visual inspection throughout the amp. As Rich and several others have pointed out, the Rsupp can change value without any outward signs whatsoever. It can be the result of age, over-heating, glitches, or _____.( fill in the blank) It is a chore because one end of the resistor must be lifted to measure it. I have had several Rsupp's over the years that appeared pristine, but broke when gently unsoldered. Those of us that use Globar resistors need to make sure the clips are clean and good contact is made between the clip and resistor body. With the price and availability of tubes nowadays, a maintenance schedule makes sense to me, and is cheap insurance. While you are at it, don't forget to clean the fan/blower blades and oil the motor bearings.

(((73))) Phil, K5PC