[Amps] vacuum relay failure

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] vacuum relay failure
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:02:46 -0500
I modified my SB-220 about 5 years ago with vacuum relays on the input and output. It has had a lot of hard contest use since then without incident, but this weekend, after about a half hour, I noticed that I was intermittently getting no output from the amp, even though the transceiver looked like it was putting in normal drive. It seemed to change from one switching cycle to the next -- sometimes it would go a dozen QSOs with no problem, but on the 13th nothing was getting out.

About an hour after this started, the input relay (a Hi-G d'Italia surplus job) started not closing intermittently, leaving me with no drive either, so I shut the thing down altogether.

I have replacement relays on the way, but would like to tap the experience on the list -- does this sound like just contact failure, or might there be something else in play? Is it logical to consider a possible causal relationship between the output and input relay failures, or just coincidence? I should mention that the Hi-G is only rated at 75 watts CCS, so it probably doesn't have too much headroom for a typical 100-watt driving signal.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated 20 Oct 2004
2796 contest stations at