Re: [Amps] AL-811 low power

To: "W5WRL" <wlawless@w5wrl.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-811 low power
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:11:50 -0800

On Nov 27, 2004, at 12:57 PM, W5WRL wrote:

Folks

I have an Ameritron AL-811. I get very close to 550 watts on 160m but as I
move higher in frequency 40m to 10m the power output falls off. Output on 10
is about 250w. One fellow suggested that I change the tubes.

It's not the tubes.

I replaced the
original 811s with 572s and the result is basically the same. I am driving
the amp with a Yaesu 847.

Any suggestions on how I can get full power out of the amp on the higher
frequencies?

Part of the problem is that as freq. increases, the tank conductors are not large enough to compensate for skin-effect.

Best Regards,

Bill Lawless - W5WRL Frequency Coordinator - Zone 5, West Texas http://www.txvhffm.org/default.asp ARRL WTX Assistant Section Manager

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org