Re: [Amps] Question: Ameritron AL-80A tuning

To: "NW7US, Tomas" <nw7us@hfradio.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question: Ameritron AL-80A tuning
From: peter.chadwick@Zarlink.Com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:02:56 +0100
What's the input SWR? I'd suspect the input tuned circuits may be so far
out that you're exciter is shutting down and the amp isn't getting much
drive.

73

Peter, temporarily  SM/G3RZP

"NW7US, Tomas" <nw7us@hfradio.org>
Sent by: amps-bounces@contesting.com
2004-12-01 17:46

"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
cc

Subject
[Amps] Question: Ameritron AL-80A tuning

Hi,

I am using an AL-80A and have need as an Army MARS and National Guard Net
member to utilize frequencies far out of normal Amateur Radio
allocations.  I am finding it hard to get the Amp to tune on certain
frequencies "out of band" - I can get about 100 watts on those problem
frequencies.

I suspect that the filter netwoks in this Amp prevent it from being used
too far out of frequency.  Is that true?

For instance, let's say that I need to be on a frequency close to 5 MHz.
I cannot get more than about 100 watts out of the amp.  However, if I am
just above 4 MHz, I can get full power out.  So - it must be a filtering
issue.  In this case, I am keeping the BAND switch on 80, and the PLATE
ends up around the 40 section, and LOAD is between 5 and 6.  I have tried
other positions, and nothing works nearly as well as this - but this
position only gets about 100 out.

Now - is there a mod for the amp that would allow a wider range to tune??

Or, do I give up on this amp for MARS usage?

Thanks in advance.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US (AAR0JA/AAA0WA)

: Propagation Editor for CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications :
: Creator; live propagation center http://prop.hfradio.org/ :
: Associate Member of Propagation Studies Committee of RSGB :
: US Army Miltary Affiliate Radio Service (MARS) SMD AAA0WA :
: 122.93W 47.67N / Brinnon, Washington USA CN87 CW/SSB/DIGI :
: Website/software/database design http://newwebmakers.com/ :
: 10x56526, FISTS 7055, FISTS NW 57, Lighthouse Society 144 :