Re: RE : [Amps] .82 ohm

To: "kwasny" <kwasny@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: RE : [Amps] .82 ohm
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:39:24 -0800

On Dec 7, 2004, at 7:24 AM, kwasny wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org> To: "hermans" <on4kj@skynet.be> Cc: <amps@contesting.com>; "'kwasny'" <kwasny@netzero.net> Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 3:30 PM Subject: Re: RE : [Amps] .82 ohm

How would one determine if the grid current is being exceded?

-- There is no max. grid-I rating on 3-500Zs or 3-400Zs. The max. grid dissipation for a pair is 40w, however, provided that it isn't being driven beyond the max anode-I rating of 0.8A, if a g-g amplifier is tuned for max P-out, grid dissipation will always be reasonable. The reason for this is that diverting more electron flow to the grid requires detuning so that less than optimal power out results. Thus, when P-out is max, one can relax.
- The type of amplifier that requires a grid-I meter is: Class AB1 grid-driven, not Class AB2 cathode-driven.

I have no
doubt that is was caused the problem with my SB-220 in the first place. I
inadvertently drove it at full output from my exciter (110 to 120 watts).
That is when the trouble started.

Whenever I tune my SB-220 or TL-922,, I fully drive it to 0.8A because I know that if I drive it to less anode current, RL will decrease and I will have a mistune when I drive it to full PEP.

Darryl - K5WAS

The safest thing to put in place of a kaput grid-current meter shunt (R3) is a jumper wire since the meter can not could not be damaged by another anomaly, and grid-current metering is of no value - either during tune-up or operation.