[Amps] Potter & Brumfield Relays

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Potter & Brumfield Relays
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 14:44:51 -0500
I am converting an old Collins 20V-3 to use on 75 and I want to use the power cutback circuit. This involves switching in some high wattage resistors into the HV line. I have 2 P&B PRD type DPST relays that look like they will work fine. I am concerned about using a relay that is only rated to 277VAC, 20A. Since I will be switching up to 3200VDC, is there a safety potential here? I do not intend to hot switch them, turn off the plate voltage, then switch. The bases on these relays are made from Bakelite. They are NOS and in good condition. A friend of mine pointed out that with the HV there might be a problem with the proximity to the 24V coils. The P&B relays are part number PRD60055. The alternative is to switch the cutback resistors with a hefty ceramic rotary switch, or a pair of vacuum relays.

Would appreciate hearing comments from the group.

Happy Holidays,
Bob W6TR