Re: [Amps] Potter & Brumfield Relays

To: bmaser@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Potter & Brumfield Relays
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:22:49 -0500
Dear Bob,

You want to be very careful about relay-switching high voltage.

Despite the open-frame design of the Magnacraft W158HVX-1,
rated at 200mA @ 5.0KV, the possibility exists for an "anode event"
whereby a pulse whose amperage far exceeds the relay contacts
will weld shut such contacts or vaporize them completely.

The best solution is to choose another secondary tap from the
Anode transformer, and to use a suitably-rated relay for the
switchover operation, a relay whose contacts are rated at
or above the anode a.c. RMS value.  In the case of the Alpha 77-series
amplifiers, the above Magnacraft relay chose the low or high transformer
taps.

If you are firmly committed to inserting a dropping resistor in series
with the Anode circuit your best choice is a vacuum relay akin to the
Jennings RB-2A, DPDT, or to a Kilovac SPST high voltage, high amperage,
26 volt coil model.

The Anode Plus Polarity (B+) lead should have a glitch resistor in series
with
the anode RF choke and bypass capacitor so in the event of an arc the
resistor
absorbs the current pulse where all the stored energy in your filter
capacitors
will attempt to travel through the amplifier tube. Some people use a
high-voltage
fuse at this point and some people use a vitreous-enamel resistor that
will act as a fuse,
but when an event occurs, this fuse or resistor, if not suitably sized as
wattage, will explode. The bits of ceramic and debris will shatter glass
tubes,
vacuum caps, other resistors, etc.  This can also happen to the dropping
resistors
you envision reducing the plate potential.

Be very careful about what component you choose and where you mount it.

Sincerely,

Hal Mandel
W4HBM