[Amps] Back with anohter question - Ameritron 811H

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Back with anohter question - Ameritron 811H
From: "Dan" <dpipes@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:19:46 -0700
I own a Ameritron 811H. It really does very well giving me full rated output
and very good reports.
Here is the question/problem.. I do have what I consider low AC line voltage. I
have monitored my line voltage and see anywhere from 120 volts peak during the
night to a more normal 114 volts some times less. When I turn on the AMP I do
get a quick small drop of between 111 to 12 volts AC but it recovers tot he
average at the time very quickly.
On the AMP HV I see a normal of 1700 maybe slightly higher to 1725. On transmit
I see a drop to 1450 volts or so on voice peaks. All of this from what I have
read is normal for the AMP. I do have the transformer tapped at 110 volts
lowering it from the factory 120 volts as when I first got the amp the HV
numbers were about 100 to 120 volts less.

They question I have is could these lower voltages be the cause of a problem I
have on my computer (on same cricuit) sometimes rebooting when I fire the AMP
up. I do as I said have a quick voltage when the amp is first switched on and
seems if the numbers are on th elower side that is too much for the computer
and is reboots itself. however, after AMP is on and even while tuning it the
computer is happy and works fine.

One last item. I did blow a fuse the other day when I switched the AMP on. I
replaced that fuse and all is fine might not be related but a friedn said he
thought the fuse blowing could also be the cause or related to low voltage as
at the time of switchign on the transformer in the AMP draws more current since
the voltage might go low.
Again, the weird thing is the AMP tunes great works great and seems to
otherwise be just fine. It seem tha inital kickof the switchign on the other
equipment on the circuit are just not happy. I do have a seond computer on same
circuit and a small refrig. I have had both computer do a reboot at AMP switch
on...

repeating one other item after the AMP is on all equipment seems to be fine
even whenI tune the amp the computers run great..

Woudl an isolation transformer or line conditioner be the fix here? if so any
suggested brands rating etc.. Any ideas??

Thanks