Re: [Amps] Back with anohter question - Ameritron 811H

To: "Dan" <dpipes@earthlink.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Back with anohter question - Ameritron 811H
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:57:53 -0800
Hi Dan.
    My thoughts on your issue: go out and look at the rating of the fuse or
circuit breaker. If you are gettin incoming line V drops of this level too many
goodies on the same outlet or outlets. This may be old hat, but quite often
there are more than one wall receptacle wired to one circuit breaker.
    Try this: plug a light into the wall receptacle that you are using, then
find the circuit breaker for that receptacle, switch it to off. Then, plug the
light bulb into other wall receptacles to see how many are on the same cb.
    You might be surprised as to what you find.
You should get a short voltage "blip" or drop when you turn on the amp., that
due to everything in the gizmo is getting ready to operate.
    If you experience much variation in live voltage 110-120 v never steady,
always up and down voltages, maybe a quick call to the local power provider
would be in order.  Tell them of what's happening, tell them of the possible
damage to ALL of your electronic goodies and how maybe they might have to share
some responsibility in replacing them.
    Sounds as if you might have a old or unstable pole pig or voltage drop
xfrmr to you and some of your neighbors houses.
I had a problem such as yours when my subdivision was built, line stability was
as good as  drunk on saturday night. 108 v lows to 127 v highs.
    Mentioned this to local power provider, they got right on it.  Now, 110 v
line voltages are at a steady (if a little high) 120-122 volts. But they are
steady.
Incoming  AC for my AL-800 (its called "nominal 230 V") is 240-245 volts.  The
big thing is to have a steady line voltage not an up-down-up-down variation and
so-on.
    Fwiw, Ameritron sez the 811h will run on 110 V lines but... they also point
out that it should be on an isolated 110 V line.  "If possible."
I have two MFJ plug in ac volt meters in my house, always keep an eye on them,
I do.
    Hope my ideas are helpful to you,
73,
Gary Smith