[Amps] KW Rated Low Pass Filter Caps?

To: rfamplifiers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amps] KW Rated Low Pass Filter Caps?
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:54:14 -0500
I need to access the gathered wisdom here ...

I am building a switched low pass filter for my full legal
160-10M solid state amp (1500W).

I have access to a number of free (from a friend) older surplus
Mica caps rated at 2,500V (a few are 3KV and 5KV).

I also stumbled across  unionel.com  where they have 1KV
Ceramic Disk caps for $0.32 each.

Questions:

1.  Are the Micas likely to have drifted significantly in
value over time?

2. Is 2,500V a sufficient rating for this application?

3.  Are series-stacked Ceramic Disk caps of the same value
(e.g. four 100pF caps for a 4KV rating) a good alternative
to achieve high power handling capacity?

4.  Are Micas and Ceramics of the same capacitance, voltage
rating, and tolerance % equivalent components in this app?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
A blessed and joy-filled New Year to all!

West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.2
Hallicrafters, Heathkit, Homebrew, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!