[Amps] Elmer me on high power solid state amplifier design?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Elmer me on high power solid state amplifier design?
From: "Dan Levin" <djl@andlev.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:17:29 -0800
I have (once again) become enamored with the idea of designing (and building, I
hope) a solid state amplifier for 160 - 10 meter use.

Ideally, this amplifier would deliver 1500 watts output in contest use with 100
watts or less drive, produce output that is as spectrally clean as a tube amp,
and cost less than an auto-tune tube amp by quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about solid state design :-)

I've read a few of the Motorola app notes written by Helge Granberg, and looked
at a few designs that use MRF-150's and SC2879's on various web sites.  I am
aware of the issues of output harmonic filtering, lightening protection, SWR
protection, etc. â none of that has discouraged me yet â

I have a bunch of (what I am sure are) fairly simple (and likely, in some
cases, fairly dumb) questions - but no one to ask them of.

If you would be willing to chat with me a bit (by email) on this subject,
please let me know.  I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks, and best Happy New Year to all,

                                    ***dan, K6IF