[Amps] PLATE RESISTENCE

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] PLATE RESISTENCE
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:26:28 -0500
Perzactly!

This is a good reason to note why tube amps using pi and pi-l networks are superior to broad band solid state amplifiers. The harmonic rejection of the networks are much greater assuring a cleaner signal. I always select a Q of 12 because it's midway between 10 and 15. I do this in determining wire size in transformers where 500 cir. mils is the lowest and 1000 the highest using 750 cir mils for ICAS work (1000-1200 for CCS). This mid range is generally always acceptable for any circuit and is being conservative in value.

Even though the Q is a factor plugged into the formula, there are "Q meters" for testing the actual Q of a built component-network. After the tank is complete, or just the tank coil itself, the actual Q can be found with the meter and then compared to the value you arrived at from the formulas. Most LCR meters have the capacity to test the Q of a component or circuit. There are more accurate Q meters available though. So david is right on the money by his answer.

Will