Re: [Amps] 3CX1000A7

To: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1000A7
From: "Joe Crawford" <crawfish@surfmore.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:26:49 -0600
Thanks to all who responded per the 3CX1000A7. I will be looking into putting this tube on that air!
Joe W4AAB

W0UN -- John Brosnahan writes:

At 07:12 AM 1/16/2005, Roger D Johnson wrote:
W0UN -- John Brosnahan wrote:

Biggest problem is that it is a filament HOG. 5 volts at 30 amps.

But it's virtually instant warmup! No waiting an agonizing
three minutes!

73, Roger

On the other hand it has a more expensive/rare socket than an 8877.
But the tubes are typically cheaper on the surplus market when you can find
them. Used by a number of companies for RF heating. Finding sockets
may be a bit more problematic although a 4CX1000 socket could probably
be made to work.

If I still had some I would put them on the air. But I have 8877s
instead. Long warmup but the watt-hour meter does not spin
quite as fast when I am just tuning the bands. While you COULD
turn the 3CX1000A7 OFF and ON a lot, this is generally not regarded as
good design practice.

As I said, it is an OK tube, and if the price is right it will make a good
HF/low VHF amp. For instant on I like the 3CX1200A7 at HF and
the 3CX1200Z7 on 6M.

73--John W0UN