Re: [Amps] Tetrodes in GG Configuration

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tetrodes in GG Configuration
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 07:23:53 +0000
David Pruett wrote:
I'd like to point out another tetrode configuration which has some useful characteristics, and that is cathode driven,
[...]
but not in a zero bias, strapped as a triode configuration. The grid has negative voltage, and the screen has medium high voltage, very similar to that of a grid driven configuration.

That is almost exactly the 30-S1 configuration that Colin K7FM and I were talking about.

The correct DC operating conditions are *exactly* the same as for grid-driven, because the grid, screen and anode voltages are all measured from the cathode. The tube only knows about the G1-cathode, G2-cathode and anode-cathode voltages that it sees.

So, DC-wise, the tube doesn't care which terminal of the power supply you choose to connect to chassis. DC grounding of the cathode, G1 or G2 terminal have all been used successfully in tetrode amps. The other terminals of the power supply then have to be above or below chassis accordingly.

Pictures are much better than words to describe this. There are diagrams of the various configurations in the Tetrode Boards manual which is downloadable from my website:
www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards

Another common fallacy is that you can't have cathode-driven class AB1. Sure you can, with a cathode-driven tetrode. It requires exactly the same DC grid and screen voltages - relative to the cathode, of course - as it does for grid-driven. The difference is that the cathode-driven amp requires significant RF drive power, even in class AB1.