Re: [Amps] Baluns / UNUNs in QRO

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Baluns / UNUNs in QRO
From: doc <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:18:26 -0500
Is the impedance of of your antenna flat from 160-10M or does it
vary from below 50 Ohms to the hundreds or perhaps 1,000's of
Ohms?

The Tuner will handle that but will your plate tuning circuit?

> Tomm Aldridge wrote:
Rather than put an antenna tuner in series with my amp, why not add a wide band RF impedance transformer to the output of the amp and go directly to the feedline? Seems that adding the plate tuner in series with the antenna tuner is just compounding losses. For example, I run 450 ohm ladder line to my (non-resonant) antenna. It is now fed by a balanced-balanced tuner (2 26uH motorized rollers and 2 500pF variables that can be moved from input to output as Z determines) that is fed by my solid state 50 ohm out rig. It seems to me that I could just design the plate tuning circuit to match 4k to 450 and add a 1:1 current mode BALUN to the output of that and be done rather than going from 4k to 50 to BALUN to 450 as would be the case with the current 50 ohm output designs.

Am I missing something here?

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.2
Halli, Heathkit, Homebrew, SBE, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!