[Amps] Websites.

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Websites.
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:18:43 -0500
I'm writing this over a recent post made by a member of this mailer using another website to get ideas for amp building. Just to forewarn some that everything you read just aint so. Take the below quote which was on a website posted by the member in question. This makes one wonder if they can be trusted on everything else they have spoken about. However, their heart is there, they should research things before they publish it, or know what they are saying before they do.

Quote;
"ESR, (Electro Static Resistance), is the reason the computer-grade caps generate heat during operation. Caps with very low ESR tend to generate much lower heat outputs. Energy-discharge caps have much lower ESR than computer-grade electrolytics. Therefore, they generate less heat."

Now, I don't know about all of you, but I always thought "ESR" meant "Equivelant Series Resistance"? The ESR of the capacitor is what we use to determine the sudden current draw from a discharged capacitor. It's used in all power supply calculations for surge current. I'll not pick at it any farther than what I have although as most will see I could.

This is the reason I'm writing this, as one is better off to come and ask a group like here. Unless you can absolutely trust everything the author is stating. Not only could some information just be plain wrong, and cost some cash to find out the hard way, it can also be just plain dangerous! Especially because of the voltages we handle. So please all, don't believe everything you read, research it first from several sources. Always ask why, who, when, where, and how?!?

Best,

Will