Re: [Amps] Plate choke magic?

To: KD7QAE@ARRL.NET, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate choke magic?
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:17:27 GMT
Hi Tomm,
  A powdered iron part will still need quite a few turns.

  For instance:  70 turns on a T-200A-2 will provide 100uH.  This should be a
rough equivalent to the commonly used value.  Try it?

  Check for resonances in an installation & then measure how warm it gets at
3.5 MHz -- The air core chokes only have wire losses down there.  This approach
will also have some core loss.

73 & Good morning,
  Marv  WC6W

-- Tomm Aldridge <KD7QAE@ARRL.NET> wrote:
Marv,
Thanks for the references, I will read them.  To be clear, I was not
proposing ferrite toroids but powdered iron toroids as they can support
DC due to their distributed gaps.
Tomm