[Amps] 3-500Z uses [TSPA]

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z uses [TSPA]
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:43:40 -0700
My coworkers and I maintain some five 'sockets' for 3-400Z at work, each used as an inverter/driver for a 4CX3000A which screen modulates a pair of 4CW250,000B which are plate modulators for a Burle 7835 grounded grid triode. So, we haven't even modernized up to 3-500Z, but hope that at least Amperex/Covimag continues to make their version.

At home in the shack I have a Continental 314R1 BC transmitter under conversion to amateur AM serivce. It uses three 3-500Z triodes. In talking to the service folks at CEC, they believe about 800 of these rigs are still operating world wide in AM stations. They are 1980 vintage PDM design.

For me it would be hard to believe that the source of 3-500Z would vanish entirely, as there are many industrial uses, such as LF induction heating, and wierd modulators and gadgets such as mentioned above.

73
John
K5PRO