Re: [Amps] IC-718 and AL-811: Icom manual misleading,interface necessary

To: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] IC-718 and AL-811: Icom manual misleading,interface necessary according to Icom technician
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:14:56 -0800
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:21:12 -0500, Will Matney wrote:

>I believe if it were me, and I were building transceivers, that I would
>make sure it would switch everything out there, including the oldies.

Agreed. The one unknown is the possible inductive spike when the amp
relay is unkeyed. A bulletproof high voltage/high current transistor
(instead of a relay) with appropriate protection would have saved ICOM
and us a lot of trouble.

They apparently forgot the six P's of engineering: Perfect Planning
Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

--
Bill, W6WRT