Re: [Amps] Band Switching with vacuum relays

To: Theo Bellamy <Theo.Bellamy@Spirittelecom.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Band Switching with vacuum relays
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps@w4zt.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 22:51:20 -0500
Theo,

The Jennings and Kilovac relays that Allen Bond carries are nice and
capable of carrying the power.  There are also relays on Ebay but you'll
be buying an unknown.  Allen tests his relays and vacuum variables with
a hi-pot tester before selling them so you'll get what you pay for when
buying from him.

Be careful of the other relays you see on Ebay as most are used and
untested.

73, Tony W4ZT

Theo Bellamy wrote:
Hi,

I have searched the archives and haven't found much about this ... sorry if
I missed it and the subject has been discussed already.

I am about to begin construction of a YC156 amp (finally). I have all the
parts, including a really nice Gates roller and some big edge wound
inductors. I used a similar roller in my last meat crusher
(http://www.qsl.net/k4mo/Giant.html) but I am thinking about using the fixed
edge wound inductors with some spst vacuum relays on this one.

However, I am not sure about how to determine exactly what ratings the
relays will need to be. Anyone out there have any advice or experiences to
offer? And, perhaps a source for relays? Alan Bond has some but they seem
pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance & 73,
Theo K4MO