Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:41:18 +0000
R.Measures wrote:

After George Grammar left QST,things changed and the advertisers became more important than QST subscribers. When an advertised in QST, manufactured, "3kW" tuner caught fire at 900W in the ARRL Lab, it was not reported in QST. When the ARRL Lab technician noted that a 3cx1200A7 amplifier made by the same manufacturer exhibited signs of parasitic arcing during testing in the Lab, the problem was not reported in the QST Product Review.

That reminds me of Personal Computer World (and computer magazines) in the UK.

About a year ago they were telling us an Apple was the first 64-bit desktop computer. Yet a Sun Ultra 1 (about 50 pounds on eBay now) is 64-bit and was around the best part of a decade ago. It is very much a desktop (smaller than the Apple). I wrote to the letters page of PCW and told them that, but it never got printed. (BTW, I think IBM had a 64-bit desktop before Sun, but Apple were way behind).

Now the magazines are full of telling us we need 64-bit computers. The fact well over 99% of peopole don't utilise the full capabilities of 32-bit machines seems not to be reported - for the same reasons as your 3CX1200A7 blowing up.

Then personal computer world run a 5 or so page article telling us one of the main advantages of these 64-bit computers was that they could do the floating point calculations much faster. The fact all Intel CPUs do it in 80-bits, and have done for perhaps two decades, seems to have escaped the idiot who wrote this article, telling us why we should all be buying 64-bit computers.

A combination of total idiots writing articles, and a strong advertising bias, makes me very weary of much I read in magazines.

My immediate boss at work (a very respectable scientist and a Fellow of the Royal Society) used to do some testing for HiFi magazines, but gave that up when it lost scientific merrit.

So I doubt your ATU and linear amps are isolated cases.

--
Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/ of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/