Re: [Amps] Quick 220 outlet?

To: n4gi@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Quick 220 outlet?
From: John D'Ausilio <jdausilio@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:42:46 -0500
Cute idea .. they're making a boatload of cash on it too, $200 with
'special' extension cords. It should work just fine though .. house
service is 220 'split', so either leg to neutral yields 110V. Look
inside your distribution panel and you'll see that the breakers
alternate between legs (which is also how/why 220V breakers work on
two adjacent breaker locations). These guys are just having you plug
into a circuit on each leg .. the "amber light" is probably a
neon/resistor across the two hot wires, 0V if they're on the same leg,
220V if on different legs. I think I'll make one of these :)

de John/W1RT