Re: [Amps] Quick 220 outlet?

To: Phil Clements <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Quick 220 outlet?
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:30:12 -0500

Phil Clements wrote:

Look inside your distribution
panel and you'll see that the breakers alternate between legs (which is also
how/why 220V breakers work on two adjacent breaker locations).

One difference is that 230v breakers are mechanically linked so that if one side pops, the other opens too. I am not sure exactly how it would be dangerous to not do this, but I would think twice before using such an arrangement in anything but an emergency...maybe an electrician can comment.

I agree with Vic.
If I was going to use this thing permanently I would buzz out the two breakers that
the two outlets to be used are fed from. I would then get the proper 240 volt pair
of breakers and install them adjacent to each other in the panel; putting all the original black
wires back in place on each one.

Looks like all you need is a 240 volt lamp, a box, an outlet, and two #12 extension cords to
duplicate this beast. The box will probably have room for two fuses to be on the safe side.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

As a further note, it is also unsafe if you have your equipment plugged into the box and turned on then unplug one of the plugs from the wall. That plug will now be hot via the other line through your equipment.
Again you can get zapped!

73
Gary  K4FMX