[Amps] lots of 4CX10,000Ds

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] lots of 4CX10,000Ds
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:49:59 -0700
Ham friend of mine is the RF engineer for the Haarp site. He travels back from Northern VA to Alaska frequently, and also to Continental Electronics in Dallas. He can pull up TX stats and meters remotely. I have a Haarp QSL card on the wall here, it says 48 phased arrays to produce 960 kW ERP from 2.8 to 10 MHz. I heard them on HF (near 5 MHz) one night, very strange modulation of tones. However, they are doing an upgrade with more transmitters and antennae.

http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/

I believe he told me that they use a pair of 4CX10,000D tetrodes in each rig, and have 48 of these rigs running. More coming i believe. Continental has made a lot of rigs for them, and CPI/Eimac, a lot of tubes.
73
John
K5PRO