Re: [Amps] 10dB and propagation

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10dB and propagation
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 14:59:57 -0800

On Feb 8, 2005, at 9:56 AM, Michael Tope wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>

Some mornings, 20db more Tx suds produced 20db more Rx signal and on
other mornings, 20db more Tx would make c. 23db more Rx signal. There
appeared to be no way of controlling anything. It was: what you see is
what you got, and you can't change it a jot.

So what you are saying is that at one instant with the 8171 off the signal was S-xx and then in the next instant (e.g. in the span of a few seconds) the operator turned on the 8171, and the Rx signal went up by 23dB even though the increase in tx power in that same instant was only 20dB?

Correct, and it was repeatedly repeated to factor out the QSB factor.

That would imply that the ionospheric
plasma heating due to the 8171 output was almost
instantaneous.

Agreed. It was fast and not predictable.

If that were true, I would expect that the
thermal conditioning of the plasma could follow the
syllabic envelope thereby causing distortion.

My take on the phenomenon is that it was not thermal or there would have been a lag time. My guess is that the ionosphere's electrons were on the threshhold of jumping up to the next orbit and the extra energy gave them a push.

And if 16KW PEP to a dipole would cause 3dB distortion,
the just imagine how bad a foreign broadcast station
would sound running AM with 500 KW to a curtain
array.

Foreign broadcast near the 40m and 80m bands during the daytime is a different subject. This condition was observed only after sunrise between adjacent Western states, so the D-layer was a factor.

If the thermal conditioning were a bit too slow to
follow the syllabic envelope, then you would be able to
see some droop on the RX audio output (w/agc off) if you
pulse modulated the 8171 exciter between say 1 watts
and 100 watts with a 50% duty cycle square wave.

Anyway, I don't have a stiff enough service drop to
run an 8171, so I guess I don't need to worry about all
this :)

I ran mine from a 100A service with .075-ohms of ESR, but I tuned up the sucker with a tuning pulder.

cheerz, Mike.