[Amps] Eimac 3500Z Vs. RFParts or Taylor Tubes

To: AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Eimac 3500Z Vs. RFParts or Taylor Tubes
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:52:48 -0800

From: R. Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: February 14, 2005 7:49:59 AM PST
To: "Javier" <yv5mbx@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Eimac 3500Z Vs. RFParts or Taylor Tubes

On Feb 14, 2005, at 7:14 AM, Javier wrote:

Hi,

I am curious abt the high street prices of Eimac 3500Z tubes against Chineese Version.

Eimac glass tubes are no longer made, so the price is higher. Late production Eimac tubes that were made in Salt Lake City commonly had weak anode-cooler welds that broke and allowed the cooler to short against the grounded- grid. Earlier Eimac tubes that were made in San Bruno did not have this problem.

Is my understanding that chineese tubes get not as hot as Eimac and provide abt 100 watts of extra power. If I am correct is the price difference based upon tube´s longvity?

Chinese 3-500Zs are very similar to Eimac 3-500Zs in regards to bias requirement and Mu, except that the metal anode Chinese version had better welds. // note -- graphite-anode 3-500Zs do not have this problem.
cheers, Javier