Re: [Amps] Re: compact coils...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Re: compact coils...
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:16:13 EST
In a message dated 2/15/2005 5:17:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
N7HIY@comcast.net writes:
The skin effect on 160m is almost nonexistent.  RF current flow at 1.8 MHz
is evenly distributed across the cross section of the conductor.  Cooling is
effective to lower resistance changes caused by heating.  We would be
surprised how many of these low air flow tube tank designs used by amateurs
reach 200d C plus in the tank circuit during high duty cycle operation
mainly caused by heating from the tube and transformers.  The red/orange
glow is indicative of something.

Cliff N7HIY

There is a very strong skin effect at 1.8 MHz. My skin depth calculator shows
the RF skin depth for a round copper conductor at 1.8MHz is about .002 inch
or about 2 mils. Hardly what I would call nonexistant at 1.8 MHz. 73 Todd WD4NGG