Re: [Amps] Fwd: Pi-L In-circuit Adjustment Question

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fwd: Pi-L In-circuit Adjustment Question
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 02:46:21 -0800

On Feb 20, 2005, at 6:35 PM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:

Hi Rich, no, I said "C1 resonates the network" but no matter, we both know what the intent was.

No capacitor in a L-network or a Pi-network (double L-network) resonates the network.

While driving up to my eme operating QTH this morning I was thinking about the subject and came to an interesting conclusion: there is no practical way to couple a grid dip meter into network to look for a dip while the amplifier is running key down to produce the needed impedance represented by the plate load impedance calculation. The rf signal present will QRM the heck out of the dip meter!

QRM the dip meter or toast it?

Then the thought; removing the rf enclosure lid to make the measurement makes the L and  the C change. The only way to get an accurate measurement is to build a remotely operated dip meter into the circuit. This seems like a lot of bother knowing that QRM will negate the reading anyway.

There won't be any reading after the meter is toast.

Therefore, I must conclude that your statement about a Pi network not being resonant just might be true as it can't be disproved.

An L-network transforms E and I by operating near resonance. The greater the Z-transformation, the closer it operates to resonance, the greater the circulating I in the inductor, the greater the E across the capacitor., and the greater the operating Q. However, an L-network is never operated dead-on resonance because there would be ∞ E and ∞ I.

There is a lot more to be said about this subject as it seems to come up from time to time. I can't tell if you are really serious about this "non resonant network" or just pulling our chain about it.

On AMPS, those who joke about AC circuit analysis are destined to become one.

I would appreciate knowing the answer to this before spending a lot of time building up the remotely tuned dip meter or thinking too much about it.

By the way, I had a grammar slip in an earlier e-mail calling a point "mute" really meaning "moot". I know you saw that and thank you for graciously not pointing it out!

In this neighborhood, grammar is not as important as circuit analysis and physics of electricity.

Best Regards,
Gerald K5GW

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org