[Amps] This may be an oversimplification on my part,but it seems to work

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] This may be an oversimplification on my part,but it seems to work.
From: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:26:30 EST
This may be an oversimplification on my part, but it seems to work.

 When I am trying to determine the Input (C1), Output (C2), and Tank
Inductance for an amplifier, I consider the circuit to be acting as an
impedance
matching transformer and use the same techniques one would use when trying to
match circuit input and output impedances when designing a colpitts oscillator
tank circuit.

 1) First I figure out what the plate impedance should be for  full power
output using the standard calculations easily found in Orr and in the  Handbook.

 2) Then I divide that number by 50 ohms (or whatever my target load
impedance happens to be) to get the impedance transformation ratio I  need.

 3) Then I divide the plate impedance (Lets call it RPq) by the tank  circuit
Q I am trying to obtain.

 4) Then I solve for C1 based on C1 having that value of  impedance (equal to
RPq) at the frequency of operation.

 5) Whatever capacitance value I get for C1 gets multiplied by the  impedance
transformation ratio number I obtained earlier, and becomes the  capacitance
value for C2.

 6) Then I calculate the value of C1 and C2 in series. (usually just a
little less than the original value for C1 and in most cases you can just use
the
value of C1). Lets call this new value Cr.

 7) The last thing I do is use the resonance formula and solve  for the value
of L by using the value derived for Cr at the frequency of  operation.

 I have used this procedure successfully a number of times now. Maybe  4 or 5
times with different tubes and different impedances, and it has  always
gotten me into the 'ballpark' as far as tuning was concerned.

 I am certainly not a math major, and don't totally understand how  this
works, but it seems to work for me and is a fairly easy and quick  calculation.

Regards,

Dennis O.