Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Fault 99

To: "'R.Measures'" <r@somis.org>, <TNeill1648@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A Fault 99
From: "Dick Green" <dickgreen@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:12:04 -0500
That's very close to the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this reflector
-- and there have been a lot of ridiculous things said on this reflector!

Tell it to the thousands of contesters who use computers in high-RF
environments. Most modern transceivers have some sort of CPU in them, and
some are practically all CPU-based (like the Ten-Tec Orion.) CPU-based
devices can have problems if you  don't follow good engineering practices to
keep RF out of the AC, signals cables, etc., but a lot of other devices are
vulnerable, too. As for the 87A, it is exceedingly well engineered as far as
RF immunity of the CPU is concerned. The CPUs in hundreds of Alpha 87A amps
have performed flawlessly for well over a decade in a wide variety of
high-RF environments, and the Acom 2000A CPUs have done just as well over
the last five years. I've never heard of a problem with either amp related
to the CPU getting confused by RF.

Next thing you're going to tell us is that the CPUs form little gold balls
across the semiconductor junctions when there's a lot of RF around!

Tom -- the fault 99 problem has nothing to do with RFI, so the comment isn't
useful at all. Fault 99 is caused by 6 consecutive hard faults, which likely
indicate a significant hardware problem. Alpha can tell you how to reset the
fault (not sure if they will or not), but that's not going to fix the
problem. If you keep cycling the amp you may damage it further.

73, Dick WC1M