Re: [Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??

To: "'Dan Sawyer'" <dansawyer@earthlink.net>,amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??
From: "Georgens, Tom" <tom.georgens@engenio.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:49:58 -0800
Dan -

It is my understanding that the RF-1 displays just the magnitude of the
impedance vector.  It cannot directly separate the resistive and reactive
elements into R + jX.  Instead, it reads !Z! or the square root of the sum of R
squared and X squared.  When you measure a pure 50 ohm resistance, the
reactance is zero and the Z (what you read) is 50.  When you press the C
button, you get the value of capacitor that will yield that magnitude of
impedance at the selected frequency.  Likewise when you press the L button.

To be clear, you cannot directly read resistive, capacitive or inductive
components of a complex impedance on the meter unless there is a pure
resistance, capacitance, or inductance.

That said, I believe the website has a set of equations from which R + jX can
be derived from the Z and SWR measurements.  This is not in the manual.

Hope that helps a little

73, Tom W2SC