Re: [Amps] water and vapor phase tube cooling

To: "'Harold B. Mandel'" <ka1xo@juno.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] water and vapor phase tube cooling
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 00:45:43 -0500
Hal writes:

> What I didn't know about industrial ethylene glycol was that it
> physically burns human skin even though it might not be
> at a hot temperature.

There was some abnormal additive in that ethylene glycol if you
received chemical burns from it.  I was regularly doused with
the 50-50 glycol/water solution when working with the TV transmitter
cooling systems with no dermatological effects (no fresh water supply
at my sites either).

There is some absorption through the skin but not enough to be
toxic unless one soaks in it for many hours and ethylene glycol
is broken down by naturally occurring soil bacteria in something
like 72 hours.

Still, most sites have converted to propylene glycol which is
completely safe - it's even used as a food additive.  Propylene
has a slightly lower specific heat than ethylene glycol but has
fewer environmental concerns.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK