[Amps] Drake L7 Problems

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Drake L7 Problems
From: "john" <johnmb@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 14:24:46 -0500
    I'm just firing up a long dormant (and nearly new ) L7 for the
    first time.  I purchased it from the original owner who said it
    was used only 6 hours before his condo neighbors
    complained about the TVI and he put it in the box, which is
    where it was when I bought it a few months ago.

    I formed all the caps in the supply (most were quite good
    yet), and installed the tubes in the sockets. I had the unit in
    CW mode, per the manual, and fired it up for the first time. I
    can hear the fan and there was no smoke, but the plate
    voltage sits at only 1500V and begins to drop after about 5
    seconds.  I've turned it OFF again, after no longer than
    about 10 seconds, as the reading (no load, not in transmit)
    seems way low. There does not appear to be any plate
    current flowing during this time.

    How to proceed in trouble shooting?

    Restart, without tubes in sockets?

    I'm afraid to leave it on longer, for fear it'll toast something.
    There's no unusual smells, noises, etc.

    All hints appreciated.
    John K5MO