Re: [Amps] nylons

To: John Irwin <crazytvjohn@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] nylons
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:06:37 +0000
John Irwin wrote:

>dudes
>
>a large ace hardware store opened here last week , One block away.  I have
>noticed a lot of nylon items that look a lot like the ceramic standoff
>insulators, they come with a hole in the center,and some are taped for 6-32
>or other simular sizes.  lenght every 1/8 inch or so,diameter 1/4 to 1/2 inch
>
>How does nylon act in rf?    Like in a amplifier as used to support variable
>capacitors or inductors? Next to the plate choke.
>
>Anyone put some in the pi coil and see if it holds up. or does it go up in
>smoke?
>
>thanks
>john kb9tc

One other thing I forgot to add is that I have here some Ross HyperSPARC
CPUs,  which were from a Sun workstation. (Sun did not make this CPU,
but a 3rd party did). I know this particular machine had been run 24/7
for many years, and never broke down.

The heat sinks were attached using some sort of black plastic screws.
When I moved the computer, several snapped. The material (probably a
nylon) had become very brittle indeed. But these HyperSPARC processors
were known to run very hot and were subjected to this for many years
indeed. So a short-term test does not give the whole story.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/