Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?

To: "David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>,"VK3HE Craig" <vk3he@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:26:08 -0600
> The lesson I learned from this (and was incidently told to me by a G3
> years earlier) is that the Bird meters are not precision devices, and
> are fine for tweaking a PA for maximum smoke, but are useless if you
> actually want to know the power output.

Just a note for my fellow 160 meter operators. The 2-30 mhz Bird slugs are
VERY inacurate below 2 mhz. At 1.8 mhz they read so low that you think you
have amp problems or terrible efficiency. I once worked for hours on an amp
to try to get the power output up to the level it was on 80 meters. I even
went so far as putting in a plate choke with more L. All this time, the
actual 160 meter output was > 80 meters! I hope this might save someone some
grief that has'nt run into this yet!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC