Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?

To: "VK3HE Craig" <vk3he@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?
From: "Dr. William J. Schmidt, II" <bill@wjschmidt.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:21:04 -0600
I'll relate a story that pertains to Bird's calibration skills of late.
About four years ago, I acquired a Henry 4K Ultra that was hit by
lightening.  Henry elected to use a special pre-built Bird line section
(slugs essentially built in).  Mine was toast from the lightening strike, so
I contacted them to see if I could get it fixed.  They had no idea what I
was talking about after relating the model number to them... but they said
to send it anyway.  After two weeks had passed, the technician called me and
told me it was "not working".  I told him "I knew that... and I wanted it
fixed".  He said "Oh we don't fix that stuff... we just check them... or
replace them... and that check I did just cost you $90!!!".  I said..."well
ok, how much for a new one?" ... he pauses for a minute and says "we don't
have anything like that any more."  I said "ok, so we are back to square
one... but I want to get this fixed.... anyone else fix these?"... he says
"Nope... in fact... yours if the first of this type to come here in years...
and we want to get away from any work relating these."  After I bitched
about the $90 checking fee... for something I already knew... he says "Hey,
tell you what... how about if I send you our test jig and all the parts for
those things... then you can do it yourself?".  I said "Fine... sure... send
my what you have."  A week later, to my surprise, I got their entire test
bench set-up... and a bunch of parts to fix the line sections.  Lots of
dollars in stuff for my $90 check fee.  Since then, I've been able to fix a
few of these for friends.

Morale of the story is that you may want to borrow a NIST standard and do it
yourself.... since Bird seems to want to calibrate/ fix by replacement.

Sincerely,

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II  K9HZ
Trustee of the North American QRO - Central Division Club - K9ZC

Email: bill@wjschmidt.com
WebPage: www.wjschmidt.com

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that
will do them in."  -- Bradley's Bromide