Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power

To: "Tony King - W4ZT" <amps@w4zt.com>, <Amps@Contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:51:02 -0800
  From: Tony King - W4ZT
  To: Amps@Contesting.com
  Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 8:53 AM

  Harold B. Mandel wrote:

  ><snip> PEP is different
  >than RMS, and RMS is different than Average. <snip>

  It may be worth mentioning that RMS is the usual method of defining a DC
  equivalent which, given a pure waveform, will be about the same as the
  average. With distorted waveforms RMS will not define the average
  properly. I think that's where Harold was headed when pointing out that
  measurement of the power in those systems is a completely different
  animal than measuring our amateur amp power and requires the use of more
  complex and expensive power measurement tools.

  Thanks for the glimpse into the new world Harold!

  73, Tony W4ZT