Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:00:28 +0100
R. Measures wrote:

>> I know an ex-colleague of mine, went to a local HiFi shop to buy some
>> HiFi. The guy in the HiFi shop was giving it all the sales talk on
>> the power of this amplifier, thinking she was a dumb blonde. She was
>> blonde, but not exactly dumb as she had a PhD in physics.
>

> PhD diplomas are available on the Internet these days.

I would have at one time thought they were totally worthless to in the
individual that obtained them.

But I see on the TV recently of someone writing a book about some diet.
She had no medical training, but got her PhD off the internet, so could
call herself Dr.  So all these people buying her book probably thought
she was a medical doctor, where in fact she had a PhD she had bought off
the internet. She's worth a lot more $$'s than me.

So of us did not do that though. I got mine from one of top UK
universities, and its contents can be found for all to see if they wish.

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/research/borl/homepages/davek/phd/phd.html

> One of the most ohm's law-ignorant Hams I ever met told me that he had
> a PhD in electronics engineering.

Then he was almost certainly either a liar or got it from one of those
"non accredited universities".

I say "almost certainly" as I know there can be exceptions. One way is
if someone does a PhD in what is basically chemistry project (say
growing silicon on germanium), but they happen to do that in an
electronics department of a university, as the equipment is housed
there, where people use it for making semiconductors. Their PhD would
then be in electronics, despite the fact they learnt little electronics
and a lot of chemistry. Interviews should sort these sorts of issues out.

My PhD is in medical physics, but realistically it was more electronics
and optics than anything else.

BTW, the first time I read about SiGe technology was in the April issue
of some magazine. I was convinced it was a windup, but alas it was not,
and very high speed microwave transistors are made using it.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/