Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power

To: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com, garyschafer@comcast.net,Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:16:05 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2005 3:53:10 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Dennis12Amplify@aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 3/22/05 3:32:00 PM Central Standard Time,
garyschafer@comcast.net writes:

Dennis12Amplify@aol.com  wrote:

> In a message  dated 3/22/05 3:05:53 PM  Central Standard Time,
>  garyschafer@comcast.net  writes:
>
> The RMS  value of a  power wave form is not  the same as finding the RMS
> voltage   value, squaring it  and dividing by resistance.
>

> Exactly  what does a power waveform look like?
>
>   Please read completely before you respond......
>
>  If you look at the statement made by TexasRF that I was   responding  to,
> don't think you will find any fault with  my  answer as to why average
power
is
> not  ZERO....
>
> egards,
>
> Dennis  O.

No fault found with  why average is not zero.

This is  the part I was responding  to:
>"The RMS value is the squareroot of  the mean value all of  those
>instantaneous power measurements over  some finite period of  time."

I guess you meant instantaneous  VOLTAGE rather than power?  Otherwise you
would be finding the RMS  value of power.
*** You are quite correct.

*** I should have said  voltage or current instead of power.

*** Thank you,

*** Dennis  O.

When I said:
The RMS value of a power wave form is not  the  same as finding the RMS
voltage value, squaring it and dividing  by  resistance.

73
Gary   K4FMX

My old ARRL Handbook calls RMS power a mathematical curiosity. If one were
measuring RMS power I assume it would equal .7071 times peak power? Or. 1.414
times average power?

We can really make this interesting by adding pep to the mix!

73/k5gw