Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power

To: garyschafer@comcast.net, TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Measuring RF Power
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:25:12 EST

garyschafer@comcast.net writes:

Reading  the FCC definition of PEP it goes something like:
Peak envelope power is  the AVERAGE power in one RF cycle at the crest of
the modulation  envelope.

It is actually the ITU definition - if I recall, CCIR Recommendation 321,
it's so old!

Now, what is peak power?

In a radar, it's the power delivered during the pulse - so if you like,  it's
the average power over the pulse. Or is it? What if the pulse isn't  constant
power? Same applies when you send fast dots as aopposed to slow dashes  when
tuning the amplifier.

So 'peak power' isn't very helpful. To my mind, PEP is the most useful: you
can apply it to a CW - the ratio of average power to PEP is then one - and
it's  thus modulation independent. Incidentally, this discussion appears
occasionally  in professional standardisation and regulatory circles, and
causes just
as much  (if not more) dissent than here!

The whole business of mixing the terms 'peak', 'average' 'rms' and finally
'music' powers came from the audiophool industry, and has regrettably crept
across.

73

Peter G3RZP