Re: [Amps] 4CX1000A for SSB??

To: "Mark Marsden" <MM@plextek.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1000A for SSB??
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:29:48 -0500
Ok, I just took a look at this and see where the problem is.
With a resolution bandwidth of 3kHz the  3 order IMD products are masked by
the real signal. For example if you should have a 14.2815 MHz signal and a
14.282 Signal producing 14.2825, you will not see the 14.2825 MHz signal
because it will be a tiny bit added to the 14.282 signal in the spectrum
analyzer's detector.  What you need to do is to reduce the RBW to say 500
Hz or a bit less and sample longer (a lot of talking)until you get the full
spectrum filled in as you did before. And you should see a difference. In
fact since the bandwidth of the SSB signal is only 2.5kHz or so wide to
start with you will most likely not see any IMD products using a 3kHz
resolution bandwidth. A 2 tone test is good because it is easier to compare
results but there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  You in fact
could do a infinite tone test (random noise source) and perhaps get results
that would be easier to compare to others if they should try it.

73
Bill wa4lav