Re: [Amps] Solid State HF High power linear amps

To: <craxd1@ezwv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State HF High power linear amps
From: "Dr. William J. Schmidt, II" <bill@wjschmidt.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:45:15 -0600
Hence the Pi-L circuit for tubes to clean them up too...

There are a lot of  misconceptions about solid state amps on channel.  I
have built a many of them... and I will never back to tubes for power levels
less than 5kW.  Here are a few comments that may shed some light on the
mystery of the solid state amp:

1.  "Require hard to build power supplies"... Yeah, I stopped building power
supplies years ago.  Why? Because there are thousands of surplus power
supplies on the market for almost nothing.  Case in point... transistors
like MRF150s and MRF154/ MRF157's require 48 VDC.  About 50 amps for full
power.  It so happens that you can buy surplus... continuous duty... cell
installation power supplies that are 25-50 amps for less than $50 each.  You
will be awfully hard pressed to build or buy a power supply for a 3-500/
4cx1000/ 4cx800 for that price.  I think some of you have already tapped
this market?

2.  "Solid State amps splatter without a filter".  Well, yes they probably
do need a filter to meet the FCC harmonic suppression requirements.  Your
tube amp had the advantage that the filter and the transformer is the same
device.  Can't do that with the transistor design.  But, what's so hard
about a 3 section filter?  I can typically get away with eight 3 section
filters for 1.8-30 MHz.  I have a trivially simple circuit that occasionally
samples the frequency, divides frequency by 2**18 to give 229 states... that
can be fed to a look-up PROM... to select one of 8 filters.  About 8 parts
(or two if you use a PIC) gets you the automatic band switching for $15.
Does your tube amp have automatic band switching (well a few expensive ones
do!)?

3.  "High SWR Toasts the transistors unless you have protection circuits".
Really?  I have a mobile amp...  1.5kw output continuous.... can operate
into a dead short indefinitely and has no high swr circuitry.  Just like
tube amps, if you design the amp properly... with conservative specs... able
to handle full reflected power... it is not an issue.  If you insist on
using an swr shutdown circuit... you can use the line section in the
output...  four op amps to control the bias circuitry.  $5 Automatic... and
it resets itself!

4.  "Transistors are expensive".  I don't know where you all buy your
transistors, but I've collected hundreds of MRF150s at an average price of
about $8 each.  The MRF154's are more compact... are really four MRF150s on
a single die... but I don't use them because they are too expensive.   I
think the new APM mosfets show great promise here... I priced out a pair of
the 300 watt jobs at $38.  So $72 for a cool kW.  Not quite the $50 for the
4cx800... but then there is that darn tube socket to purchase.....  and that
little complication of taking it mobile.  There are so many RF transistor
choices, I almost don't know where to begin.

5.  "Need matched pairs of transistors".  Nope.  Hogwash.  Take the
MRF150s... four  in a push-pull circuit.  Just individually bias the
transistors... set the bias for identical current through each... and they
are good to go.

Unfortunately, I don't really have the time right now to design a 2kw+ PEP
amp with the APM transistors.  I want to... it's on my list of new projects.
I know it can be done... and I'll bet cheaper than any tube design including
the power supply.  Maybe this summer...

Sincerely,

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II  K9HZ
Trustee of the North American QRO - Central Division Club - K9ZC

Email: bill@wjschmidt.com
WebPage: www.wjschmidt.com

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that
will do them in."  -- Bradley's Bromide