Re: [Amps] Even more power solid-state amp's

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Even more power solid-state amp's
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps@w4zt.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:05:30 -0500
Dr. William J. Schmidt, II wrote:

>Will...
>
>Tubes in stand-by formation... Interesting idea...  Sounds like a good line
>to give the FCC when they show up to see the twin 8877 amp in operation!

There would probably be little interest in twin 8877's, too common and
not enough db, but maybe twin YC-156s...   ;~)

><<Personally, I don't like cramming all those solid state devices together
>that way when 1 tube will do the same.>>  Not sure what this has to do with
>anything other than failing eye sight.
>
>Transistors surely aren't for everyone...I own tube stuff too!  ...but, get
>back to me in 5-10 years when all your tubes are gone/ manufacturers are all
>out of business and we can discuss this again.

I'd bet there'll still be a bunch of tubes around in ten years.  Judging
from my garage and I'm sure others are similar, it'll take nearly a
lifetime for that kind of change. Maybe in ten years we'll have some
nice new devices that'll make working with them as easy as working with
tubes. The warmth and glow wont be there though...
<snip>

73, Tony W4ZT