Re: [Amps] ID IOT IC powered station wanted for exciting new project!

To: Mark Hill <g4fph@mjha.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ID IOT IC powered station wanted for exciting new project!
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 11:34:22 -0500
A few years ago a local UHF TV  station gave our radio club their old TV
transmitter to scavenge for parts. We did in a big way this was not long
after 9/11 and my Father and I transporting the Klystrons on a flat bed
trailer.  These came with a gurney type wheeled carrier that held a pair of
tubes on a turret. We had two things that came up. One is one of the tubes
became unlocked on the gurney and slid off the trailer just missing the
rear hatch and window of Dad's van. We had to stop in traffic and get some
help picking up 400 lb tube. One guy asked what they were, I said PHOTON
torpedos. He laughed and we got it back on the trailer and continued the
trip.  While traveling around the circular highway around Lexington, KY I
noticed that no cars were passing us even thought we were going less than
the speed limit. I looked into the mirror and saw a long line of traffic
behind us but no one passing. It all of suddendly occurred to me. We should
have covered these things. They look like missiles or bombs to the average
person. These were EIMAC tubes which were red and with the boilers removed
the black anodes looked like nose cones.  We made it home with out
incident. One car did pull up next to us at a traffic light and a guy had a
tire iron in one hand. But for some reason they had a change of heart and
drove away.  Maybe they figured that we were carrying something more
effective than tire irons.

73
Bill wa4lav