Re: [Amps] Non inductive resistor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Non inductive resistor
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:33:38 -0400
Kanthal Globar and Ohmite makes all tupes including the tubular ceramics which
most use. Both will sell direct or direct you to a stocking distrubutor. If
something isn't in stock, they can order it from manufacturers stock. I'm
pretty sure Allied Electronics can get or has both brands. Both Globar and
Ohmite have websites with the spec sheets.

About the plastic case resistors, I seen where someone built one up with a
heatsink immersed in oil. I cant vouch for how well it worked in the long run.
Your best bet on this would not be oil cool it but fan cool the heatsink or use
a copper heat exchanger on it and water cool it.

Rich has a neat quickie design for a water cooled one using a tubular ceramic
on his website. The only thing, it isn't shielded as it used PVC pipe or I
think it was PVC.

They also make some big puck type or washer looking resistors which you can
stack up. I think Globar has these. You could use 5, 10 ohms to make 50 as they
series themselves when you stack them on a threaded rod. Their faces are what
conducts to one another. These are pretty high power and I'm not sure the cost.
You can add cooling fins between each to dissapate the heat.

Best,

Will