Re: [Amps] Skin Effect and Wire Current Capacity at HF

To: "Dan Levin" <djl@andlev.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Skin Effect and Wire Current Capacity at HF
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:58:04 +0200
The theory behind this is quite involved, but  is well described in Terman's
"Radio Engineer's Handbook" (pp 28 - 37 in my
1943 edition). Basically you can find the RF resistance per unit length at a
given diameter and frequency, and since
copper is a very good heat conductor, it is permissible to equate the power
dissipation for a temperature rise due to RF heating  with the rise due to DC
heating.

So if a certain current capacity due to I**2*R(dc) losses for DC for a
conductor is given, you can find the corresponding value for R(ac) with skin
effect taken into account by calculating the RF to DC resistance ratio, and
solve for the maximum RF current allowed.
This will not be the exact solution, but close enough for "engineering
purposes".

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM